ST. LOUIS BOARD OF EDUCATION REGULATION
Work certificates are to be issued in accordance with the provisions of the appropriate Missouri laws and federal child labor laws.
A work certificate may be issued to a child who has passed his/her 14th birthday but is under sixteen (16) years of age.
Such certificate authorizes (1) the employment of a child during non-school hours during the school year, and (2) the employment of a child during school hours if the child has been excused from attendance at school either on a part-time or permanent basis according to the appropriate Missouri law.
To obtain a work certificate, the applicant must comply with the following conditions:
1. The student must apply for the work certificate, in person, at the general educational development (G.E.D.) office.
2. The student must receive the promise of a job from an employer.
3. The employer must provide the district with the following information in writing:
The intention to hire the student; the specific nature of the occupation in which the child will be employed; the exact hours of the day, the number of hours per day and the days per week during which the child is to be employed; the job title or position the student will have; the company’s name, address and phone number and the signature of an authorized company representative with date of signature.
4. The Certificate to Employ form must be signed by the student and parent or guardian.
5. The student must bring the form, birth certificate or notarized statement pertaining to his/her age and social security card to the student support services office to obtain the work certificate.
6. The student must also bring a certificate of the principal of the school which the child attends or has attended, giving the grades of school work completed by the child.
7. The parent and student must be present when the work certificate is issued by the director of student support services.