ST. LOUIS BOARD OF EDUCATION REGULATION
Student Records -- Notification
At least once every school year, the St. Louis Public Schools shall publish and distribute to current eligible students or parents of current students in their primary or home language a routine information letter containing a statement identifying the information the district has designated as directory information.
The letter shall state that the Board will disclose this information to third parties when it is determined by the superintendent that the release of such information to an individual, institution, organization or agency is for the purpose of benefiting the health, safety or welfare of the child or for the purpose of including the information in a school directory to be distributed in accordance with P111.1.1.
The letter shall also state that, in accordance with federal law, the St. Louis Public Schools will provide student names, addresses and telephone listings of secondary students to military recruiters or institutions of higher education if requested by the military or such higher education institutions. The letter shall advise that the parent or eligible student has a right to:
1. Inspect and review the student’s education records;
2. Request the amendment of the student’s education records to ensure that they are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy or other rights;
3. Consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent Regulation R5125.2 or applicable state and federal law authorizes disclosure without consent;
4. Inform the district that it should not release Directory Information to third parties without the parents or eligible students’ consent;
5. Inform the district that it should not release the students’ name, address and telephone listing to military recruiters or institutions of higher education;
6. File with the U.S. Department of Education a complaint under 34 C.F.R. §§ 99.63-99.64 concerning alleged failures by the St. Louis Public Schools to comply with federal law; and
7. Obtain a copy of the board policies and regulations concerning student records.
The letter will also indicate the types of personally identifiable information that the board has designated as directory information. The board reserves the right to decline requests for disclosure of directory information.
The letter will provide notice that copies of official student records will be transferred on request to officials of another school or school district in which a student enrolls or expects to enroll. The letter shall inform that upon request, the parent or eligible student will be provided with a copy of the student records that were transferred and that the parent or eligible student, upon request, will be given an opportunity for a hearing under R5125.5.
The annual notification to eligible special education students or parents of special education parents shall also include a copy of R5125.2.1.
The letter will also indicate the location where copies of these policies and regulations are available for review.
Legal: 20 U.S.C. § 1232g(e)
Revised: December 07, 1999
Revised: June 11, 2002