ST. LOUIS BOARD OF EDUCATION REGULATION
The superintendent of schools or a representative shall determine the personnel needs of the district and present those needs to the board in an annual budget request and/or when exceptional needs arise. It shall be the responsibility of the superintendent of schools to recommend to the Board of Education for employment all teachers and other employees of the district. The human resource officer or a representative shall be responsible for recruiting suitable candidates for employment and assuring that persons nominated for employment in the district meet state certification requirements and/or the requirements of the Board of Education, as defined in the position's job description for which the nomination is made. In carrying out the above responsibilities, the following guidelines shall be used in the selection of personnel:
1. Teacher selection is a cooperative process involving the superintendent, principals, and staff.
2. There shall be no discrimination in the employment practices of the district due to age, sex, race, religion, national origin, creed, color, ancestry, veteran status, sexual orientation or disability of any individual.
3. All candidates shall be considered on the basis of their merits; qualifications; their ability to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations; and needs of the system.
4. No applicant for employment shall be considered an active candidate
until the Division of Human Resources receives a completed application
for employment and requested references and educational credentials (when
applicable), which are provided in accordance with district procedures
related to application for employment.
5. No candidates shall be recommended for employment without a personal interview.
6. No candidates shall be employed for, or assigned to, a position where an evaluation will be made in part or whole by a person to whom he or she is related.
7. The department head shall be directly responsible for the work of the staff member who participates in the selection process. The final selection, however, shall be approved by the superintendent of schools.
8. Positions approved in the superintendent's annual budget request shall be filled routinely in accordance with these procedures. The superintendent or a representative shall be responsible for providing justification for employment action to the board when requested.
9. The human resource officer or a representative shall assure that the salaries quoted for candidates recommended for employment to the board are in accordance with the salaries approved and set forth by the board.
10. The superintendent of schools shall recommend personnel for employment and ratification of employment to the board at its scheduled meetings on a personnel agenda document.
11. The human resource officer or a representative shall prepare personnel agenda documents as approved by the superintendent of schools.
While the board may accept or reject a nomination for employment, all appointments, with the exception of the recommendation to fill the position of superintendent of schools, shall be made with the recommendation of the superintendent of schools.
cf R4271.1 Favoritism and Work Assignment to Members of
Legal: Sections 168.211 and 168.251, RSMo.
Revised: October 10, 1995
Revised: September 8, 1998
Revised: December 8, 1998
Revised: January 12, 1999